Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Striking a busy balance

For a long time, I've wanted to have a schedule that was filled with fun things to do. I always envied people who seemed to know all these exciting people, and had exciting events to go to.

Recently, I've become (to a certain, nerdy degree) one of those people. I've got a great group of friends, and I'm keeping myself involved in the local art community. I love going to gallery openings and trying new restaurants with friends. It's pretty much all it's cracked up to be.

Until, like the mighty bamboo, things start overgrowing the boundaries of my calendar. Suddenly, I've got a friend's birthday, and a trip, and an event, and it's all at the same time. And being able to plan a weekend? I'm booked for months.

I know a balance must be struck, but I enjoy all the individual events. What is a busy boy to do?

I call upon the blagonet! Tell me, what do you do when life gets too exciting to do everything?

3 comments:

Greta Hanson said...

say no to everyone...hole up in your apartment and fine tune your Killer Bunny skills.

Scorpicon said...

Somehow I feel like this might not be an unbiased opinion... ;-)

DW Bits said...

Schedule blocks of time with nothing in them: some for yourself because it's important to take time to yourself, and also some for things that might arise. When I've overscheduled myself in the past, I've felt trapped by commitments/obligations, they've felt more like requirements than things I WANT to do. Having lots of them competing means I sometimes feel like I'm letting people down if I take time for myself or can't do it all. If you can avoid these feelings, I recommend doing so.